Sunday, August 19, 2012

Into the Stretch

When I turn the calendar to August I know summer's days are numbered.   This is a "blue moon" August.  Don' t know what that means?    It's the rare occasion when we get to enjoy two full moons in the same month.   There was a full moon August 1, and we are in the waning stages of it.  But the 17th of the month brings a new moon, and August 31 will see a second full moon.
Yesterday as I drove Route 1 through the Scarborough marshes I saw they were very flooded.  We have not had significant rains so I am assuming we were experiencing a very high tide.  No doubt the creeks were full of minnows and the bigger fish that follow them.   I am not sure what is "running" right now, but the bridges and piers were lined with fishermen;  men, women, little kids of all sizes, shapes and colors.  

Wherever I lived before I had a quince bush.   At my home on Dane Street in Kennebunk there were huges ones.   WHen I had my first home on Maine Avenue in Portland I had one; and when I moved to Virginia Street I had one.  The leaves always began to fall off on August 5th.  And the hard green apples were exposed for ripening.  But you wouldn't eat one even when ripe.  If you were ambitious you might make quince apple jelly, but don't try to compare it to Smucker's Apple Jelly.   It takes a lot of apples, a lengthy  cooking, draining and straining and the result is not very flavorful.  

In my yard here at my condo there are yellow, pink and red roses coming into second bloom.   The Stella D'oro lillies, hardy and plentiful, hosta, and honeysuckle in bloom.  The Rose of Sharon which I thought was dead two years ago when we moved it, has grown to three feet tall and loaded with buds about to burst. 
The butterfly bushes in front and on the side are in full bloom. 
I am aware that their days are short so will enjoy them while I can.

As I have mentioned before, Maine has a plethora of music events in summer.   Every park, pavilion and gazebo is booked. Last week there was a concert in the Scarborough Downs property.   Thousands of people gathered to hear Wiz Khalifa and
In Portland the Gentlemen of the Road are appearing on the Eastern Promenade.  It will be a huge event which will temporarily (hopefully) transform the Promenade into a mini-arena.  

This is now August 20.  I am playing catch-up and saw that several issues were still in draft.  I don't know why that happened, but I have not put them all into "publish" so if you're interested in the mundane happenings here, it's there for you.

My grandson Noah leaves today for Ohio State, third year.  We had a nice visit Saturday and went to lunch.   He is all grown up, finding out that what you think when you are 17 and 18 is not necessarily what you will think when you are 20.  But he is smart and  I feel confident he will find his passion in due time.   He is the last to be in college until the next generation comes along. 

All is well in the Northeast Corner - I like that thought.  Look at a map if you don' t believe we own that title.  The crickets are chirping tonight, or maybe they're some other leg-rubbing creature.   They are noisy and all around the  patio, along with a horde or herd of mosquitoes and night flying moths.   I sat for about three minutes and decided I was seriously outnumbered.

Two nights ago there were thunder showers for several hours; last night the delayed fire works from Summerfest shook the earth for 45minutes; tonight it's the crickets.  And when Nick settles down on his bed on the floor (since he can no longer easily get up on my bed) , he will begin his nighly groans which will give way to snores.   Comfortable sounds that tell me I am not alone.  And he doesn't complain about my snoring, so I won't complain about his.  

Happy Blue Moon   
jmajor2@maine.rr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment