Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October has arrived with rain. We like a bit of rain this time of year to keep the woods and fields wet. But when there are several days in any one week we get a bit soggy. Not like the unfortunate people who have suffered flooding this year in many parts of the country, but uncomfortably wet underfoot and the bones begin to rebel. I don't really think rain is the issue with bones, but I am a believer that changes in atmospheric pressure does cause stress.

Time to trim the flowering shrubs and bring in the potted plants and the patio furniture. Fortunately, we did not have a bad hurricane in this area so we were able to leave everything out over the nice September days. Now, before the ghouls and goblins start doing their Hallowee'n pranks, we must secure everything.

A few years ago someone(s) took the rather sizable and hefty sign at the entrance to our community. It's a big sign, nice gold lettering, bolted in place. We were shocked to see, as we drove out of the drive that there stook two stark posts - like goal posts - with nothing hanging frolm them. The men muttered and sputtered and conjectured on how many young men it would take to steal it; the women tsked and shook their heads over the very nerve of them!
The president called the police who took note. The next day, as we drove out through the entrance we were all amazed to see the sign, not hung - too much trouble and probably would risk being seen doing it - standing against the post. The police did not have an answer. But I think some parent got went into her/his garage and saw the sign leaning against the back wall and said, "I don't care who dared you to do it - take it back immediate!" I would be nice to think conscienced alone urged the return, but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

I'll put out a pumpkin or two to encourage the Great Pumpkin to visit. After the Hallowed NIght, I will put it on the edge of the woods and the local chipmunks and squirrels will take care of them. Maybe if we're lucky, some of the seeds will take root next spring and we'll have our own crop come next October.

Speaking of the resident chipmunks, cute as they are they are dangerously eager to get inside the house. My neighbor has concocted a solution, in both definitions: the solution -some sort of oil, some pungent herbs including garlic, sprayed around the holes seem to be the solution to the problem of them taking up residence in the flower garden. Then another neighbor puts out peanuts and seeds especially to encourage them. Better in her sphere than mine. I love to watch them - at a distance. I once had one who had found access to my kitchen and it sampled each of six tomatoes on my counter, and stuffed my dog's kibbles in a box of Swiffer cloths under the sink.

The rocks are weeping; their faces are shiney. Their black bodies are blacker and their light strias, almost white in August, are gray and yellow, depending on the minerals within. the "cat-o-nine-tails" have burst long ago and are mere stalks standing in the ditches. The milk weed pods have also burst,and the leaves have dropped off. We once found a caterpillar in a milk weed leaf in the process of cocooning. I took it home and put it a jar with enough leaves and twig to cmplete it's process. In the spring a really huge moth emerged. The jar was clearly not going to be big enough to hold it, so I got a big bowl. I rushed it to the nearby four room school where two of my children were in classes. After showing it to the students, we took it to the field whence it came; it flew away. I was told it had no mouth and its sole purpose was to find a mate and breed. After which it would die. So what was it's purpose? Only God knows.
I was tempted to go into the nearby field of milk weed to see if I could find another but at my age it seemed a bit whimsical.




No comments:

Post a Comment